Alternate Roots Counseling - Providing counseling and education for individuals and groups
RSS

Recent Posts

The Flight of Restless Leg Syndrome
Empath Struggles
Specializing in the Quirky?
On Coming Late to the Battle

privilege
shame
trauma
powered by

My Blog

The Flight of Restless Leg Syndrome

I can barely remember what it was like to not have Restless Leg Syndrome. I think I was 8 when I first noticed the feelings of not being able to sit still when I was supposed to, because my legs felt like they had surges of electricity running through their nerves. If you're unfamiliar with the delights of this condition, I'll explain a little further. No, it's not the same as cramps. Those people who constantly bounce a leg up and down as they sit otherwise still generally don't have RLS. Some describe it like ants traveling through their legs. Others say it's like a cross between tickles and pain. It usually happens most at night, and in situations where it'd be socially unacceptable to move, like a classical concert, a church service, or a long meeting. But a foundational quality of it is that until you give in to the sensation and move, the tension grows and consumes your focus. And shortly after you move, the sensation begins to build again. Doing some mind/body work has shown me that personally, mine feels like my legs want to run a marathon, while my body may completely exhausted and just wants to go to sleep.

An a-ha moment came to me last week through reading a book on trauma called Childhood Disrupted, and meditating on the perspectives presented there. My RLS leading me to want to run is linked to my trauma response. It's Flight thwarted. When I was 8, about the time my RLS started, my family adopted my brother, and my dad's method of disciplining him for the acting out that came from his attachment wounds was to spank him, often and lengthily. It was also the year that my religious trauma started taking effect. I have always been energetically sensitive to what's going on with people around me, only I didn't have words for that until I was 30 or so. So, on more than the basic level of sensory witnessing of the abuse in my house, I felt the effects of what dad was doing with my brother. Of course as a child, I had no way to escape that. Dad was a pastor at the church we were attending, and prevailing doctrine said that physical punishment was the way to guide a child properly. So there was no way I could protest him, even if I'd wanted to. Apparently God approved of what he was doing. As much as I wanted to flee, and my nervous system was begging me to, I could not.

A further a-ha showed me another layer of why I inherited RLS from my dad. Yes, there is a genetic component to it, but that can be best understood through the lens of epigenetics. The gene may be present, but it doesn't express until life stressors or situations get involved and turn it on. I know from my grandmother more than my dad that he experienced significant attachment wounding as well. She was of the opinion that babies were not supposed to interfere with the lives of their parents. They were to be trained to fit into the routines and expectations of their parents from the start. So in her words, "he spent a lot of time in his crib as a baby." Now imagine that infant being all alone in their crib, unable to escape and unable to speak to get their needs met in any meaningful way, with an emotionally distant caregiver. He also lived his life with Restless Leg Syndrome as a companion, and for a while took up competitive running and race-walking as a sport.

I feel a strange mixture of relief and grief at realizing this. There is an explanation for something that can be quite problematic on a regular basis, but it means that my dad and I share a bond through trauma. I feel more empathy for him now knowing this. He eventually became an alcoholic, and died of alcohol related organ failure. My own RLS flares extra bad when I drink more than one serving of any alcoholic beverage. My hope is that through recognizing the background of Restless Leg Syndrome in my family, and trauma releasing techniques like mindfulness and listening to the messages my body sends me, I can find lasting relief from it and perhaps do some generational healing along the way.

20 Comments to The Flight of Restless Leg Syndrome:

Comments RSS
admission essays writing on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 2:44 AM
The flight of restless leg syndrome a cross between tickles and pain,keep sharing with this alternaterootscounseling blog. I am very happy to visit this blog, the tension grows and consumes your focus and more good moments.

edubirdie cheating on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 11:07 PM
My cousin has the similar case with you. He also has a restless leg syndrome. The doctor said that he lacks of vitamin D that is why he get this syndrome. He is currently taking some therapy to ease the pain. Sleeping is one of his problems because of the pain that he feels in the middle of the night. Exercising is a great help and avoiding caffeine too. My cousin now prefer warm baths and he is massaging his legs every day.

essaypro on Thursday, May 31, 2018 7:53 AM
I am sorry to hear about what you are struggling right now. It is not easy if you have problems with your senses or body because in order for us to move comfortably we must be physically fit. Some people criticize people who have problems with their physical appearance. This is the main cause why there are people who have low self esteem. You can easily judge people just because of what they are but never underestimate what they can do. No matter how hard you are feeling right now, don't worry we support you and we love you for who you are! That won't stop you from dreaming.

Ninja Essays on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 1:06 AM
This type of the disease is so in nowadays and leg syndrome is a very common phenomenon. The whole information is so sensible and you write so well about the leg syndrome. This is very accurate information and I really like it.

top celebrity jackets on Sunday, January 14, 2018 10:55 PM
We can say everything about this alternaterootscounseling blog about on coming late to the battle,keep it up. The gotten cuasing problems we don’t people are should pay attention being tortured fighting this battle.

uk essay on Sunday, January 28, 2018 11:15 PM
We can find catering pages on social media and can get information about latest events. We can get ideas from these pages about catering menu and can make our events special and memorable. We can get tips about the food products in our events.

assignment writing on Sunday, January 28, 2018 11:17 PM
I agree with each and every conclusions made on this topic Marriage. It is really very informative. Thanks for sharing.

Sample on Thursday, May 03, 2018 6:43 PM
Sample

uk on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 11:03 PM
Well-mannered post. I like your write work manner and language. I am a beginner in writing. I believe this will help me to write better. I exposed these blog articles are superior to other blogs.

write me an assignment on Thursday, February 08, 2018 10:58 PM
How to keep your shower enclosure looking like new is very attractive topic for me. I appreciate your effort. Thank you very much for it.Keep it up

Assignment Tigers on Thursday, February 15, 2018 5:45 AM
It's a completely top of the line introduction. I am truly fulfilling get your ideas. I appear to be; the majority of the group will like your ideas. Nonetheless, if you need to dries any sorts of best books so Thanks.

johnsmithq on Saturday, February 24, 2018 12:14 AM
It is an interesting website. I found many interesting and informative blogs on this website. Thanks for sharing this all. I like the way of your delivering the information in the post. I must share this post with others. steel trolley wheels for sale in uk

https://iwhatssappweb.co/ on Friday, April 20, 2018 11:51 PM
entire world can communicate more easily

alice on Thursday, May 31, 2018 5:13 AM
nice

Dwayne on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 4:19 AM
What a good post with very good topic the flight of restless leg syndrome.I bookmarked it to visit again here.Thanks and carry on it. Take heavy duty shelving for storerooms

grass mats for sale on Thursday, June 07, 2018 12:28 AM
This is great post! you article is really awesome then others. Your writing material is really fantastic then others, i am totally impressed with your writing material.

Jimmy on Thursday, June 07, 2018 1:04 AM
I have just visited your post which is about restless syndrome. I am much thankful to you for such type of worthy stuff. Thanks for sharing it with us. garage racking co

essay writing help on Thursday, June 21, 2018 5:38 AM
Shorebased swiftwater rescue operations multifaceted response approach the more required order. The operations is further defined as utilizing personnel for the making based rescue operation with greatlakestechnicalrescue site.

ncrformsco on Thursday, June 21, 2018 7:23 AM
Thank you for all your efforts that you have put in this. Very interesting information I like this site very much so much superb information. Shop order forms

whatsapp web for pc on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 6:36 AM
Whatsapp web download for pc Messenger initially started as an SMS alternative